Karen Blogs Again

Welcome to my blog site! I've just started blogging again. Don't know how long I'll keep it up. Feel free to let me know what you think.

My Photo
Name:
Location: British Columbia, Canada

Saturday, July 17, 2010

It's a new decade and time to evolve my long neglected blog into something new. Inspired by Jocelyn's (a friend of Kymme and Mary of Koocanusa fame) blog, I want to not only record what's going on in my life but also offer my take on my life. Something I think I'll be good at given that it's my life and my take on it. So here goes.



Grandaughters
I have two of them. Maya is five and Emma is two and a half.
This past Wednesday Emma was over for a visit. She found the "birdie" scissors that my kids used to snip many a craft back in their preschool days. They are beautiful kid scissors with plastic birds attached which, of course, earns the long standing name of "birdie scissors". What else?
Emma's eyes lit up when she saw them. "Scissors!" she announced. She looked at me with the shine of joyous discovery on her face. Then she noticed something else. "Hair!" she exclaimed. My hair. Her shine switched to high beam and she trotted over to me with the scissors gripped in her chubby little hand, her arm outstretched. Scissors + hair = haircut for Aana. Of course! Not yet, however, my little sweetheart. Let's get you some instruction first. You'll have to wait.
We spent the next hour cutting paper. I held while she cut. Operating the family heirloom birdie scissors with two hands. The tradition lives on.

I talked to Maya on the phone today. She lives in Iqaluit, Nunavut with her "tata". That's the short version of "attata" which is Inuktitut for "dad". I asked her if she liked the two piece bathing suit I sent to her. "Uuhuhh." She sounded so grown up. When I saw the suit in a store in Florida last April I thought it would look cute on her. I told her that. To reassure me or as a simple statement of fact, she said "It does look cute on me". I have not a shred of doubt.
Maya is very courteous, sophisticated even, about getting off the phone when she's ready to. "Would like to speak to Tata?" Her tone implies I would be crazy to pass up the opportunity. The suggestion in irresistable. "Yes, I would." Tata comes on the line and my life is better for it. At least that's what I believe after Maya's gracious transition.
Marc (aka Tata) tells me Maya went wild when she saw her new bathing suit has two pieces!! Of course she put it on and slept in it. Her friend's swimming party at the community pool was the next day. Maya was ready.

I want to have a way to wrap this up. Something that ties these little vignettes together. I have nothing. Except maybe the joy and lightness in my heart that comes with these magic (for me) moments with these magic little people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home