Karen Blogs Again

Welcome to my blog site! I've just started blogging again. Don't know how long I'll keep it up. Feel free to let me know what you think.

My Photo
Name:
Location: British Columbia, Canada

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Shark Encounters

Yesterday Dwight and I watched a couple tv shows about sharks. The programs were about marine life and the health of coral reefs and the fish and other creatures that depend on them.
Apparently, the greater number of sharks the healthier the marine ecosystem in any particular area.
White tipped and black tipped sharks, reef sharks, and tiger sharks. It was cool to see so many of them and filmed close up so I could see the distinctive markings. The tiger sharks definitely have stripes. They are also the ones to be afraid of.
We've seen many white and black tipped, reef and nurse sharks in the Bahamas. We've snorkeled in a marine park with them around. Dwight almost landed on one when he dropped backwards off the side of the dinghy into the water. And when we're spearfishing we're always thinking about sharks being attracted by the prospect of being able to steal what we spear. (Not too much worry for me as I have yet to successfully spear anything but lobster. They don't thrash as much as fish which is important as you'll see next.) Sharks can hear the sound of a thrashing fish a kilometre way. The thrashing means a fish is in trouble and probably easy pickings for the shark. Upon spearing a fish the spearfisher zooms to the surface without delay and raises the spear tip with fish attached into the air so avoid attracting sharks. That's the working theory and everyone feels better believing that.
I was circled by a reef shark this past winter in the Bahamas. I knew it would probably turn out ok for me but it didn't stop me from hyperventilating. I was leisurely spear fishing when I saw that distinctive shark shape materialize out of the murky water below me about 50 metres away. Usually calm in a crisis (the meltdown gets deferred until later) I went over the tips I'd heard about what to do in a shark encounter. Maintain a large shape, keep eye contact with the shark, if it comes close enough tap it on the snout with your spear, and never never thrash and try to swim away!! The last part is familiar to Canadians who learn what to do in case of bear encounters. Nonetheless, it's easier said than done.
So Mr. Shark keeps coming towards me. Doesn't veer off. I wonder how much pain I'll feel if he bites my calf. I hyperventilate into my snorkel. He'll soon be close enough to tap with my spear. Aaah, he's turning a bit. Maybe he's leaving. No, he's starting his circle around me. I keep my arms and legs spread wide and I'm upright in the water. Holding my skinny yellow spear in front of me like a shield. He slowly swims around me and I also slowly turn. Staring danger (and possible death ?!) in its beady little eyes.
Local knowledge picked up from local fisherman and fellow experienced cruisers runs through my mind. No one can recollect ever hearing about a shark attacking a human in the Bahamas. Sharks are curious and want to get a look at you. (Hasn't this guy seen enough by now, I wonder?) Nothing to worry about when a shark's under 5 or 6 feet. (I'm sorry I didn't bring along a tape measure.) A tap on the nose is enough to get them to back down. (I'm not sure. What if this guy has anger management issues?) Reef sharks aren't aggressive. (Yeah, but their teeth are still pretty big.)
This is what occupies my mind for what seems like a long time in a world that's slowed down to almost a standstill. Then he goes. That dorsal fin disappears back into the shadows. I have the rope tied to the bow of my kayak in my hand. The kayak follows me while I'm snorkeling and I can let go of the rope when I'm going to dive down to try to shoot something. I pull the kayak to me now and haul myself onto it. (It's a sit on ocean kayak - very stable.) When just my legs and feet are still in the water I get butterflies in my stomach and imagine Mr. Shark taking hold. Abandoning caution, I kick hard and lots to get the rest of me onto that kayak and safety.
That's my shark encounter story.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE your story about your shark encounter! Now that I know that you have this blog, I will be one of your most enthusiastic readers! So fun!

4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home